VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2009

From:
"Carole D. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 09:24:13 EST
Hi, Ida !

Sure appreciate your time and effort !  However, the “interesting  problem”
 isn’t as difficult as it might seem. I have access to the Family Bible
that belonged to John W. Spencer’s father, with a complete list of names and
birth dates. My great-grandfather was one of John W.’s younger brothers, and
he  (my grandfather) was kind enough to leave me with a list of his
siblings.  William P. was NOT recorded in the Bible and did not appear on my
Gr-Grandpa’s  list. There is, however, a record on the books of Halifax County for
1880 of  John W. being granted the guardianship of William P. Hence, my
original  question: “What is the difference (or is there any) between a
"guardianship" and  an adoption, in the context of the 1880s in Virginia?” Mainly, I
’m trying to  discover if it is possible that the father of William P.
might be discovered  through genealogical means, rather than DNA. There are
living “direct male line”  descendants of William P. whose names are Spencer,
but whether they have enough  interest to have a DNA test, I could not say.

John W. Spencer’s father was married twice. He had six children by his
first wife before her death, then remarried and had ten more. That explains the
 wide spread of ages for the other siblings.

William P. Russell was not the nephew of John W. Spencer. He was a  “Russell
” and not a Spencer and was not born to any Spencers.

I do intend to travel to Halifax County courthouse later this week and
might be able to solve some of the “mystery.” Perhaps, someone at the
courthouse  will be able to answer my original question.

THANKS, Ida, for your help,
Carole

In a message dated 11/9/2009 8:14:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,