VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

From:
Deb Koplen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb Koplen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:24:41 -0600
I am not a resident of your district.  I am not even a resident of the State
of Virginia.  My ties to the state, however, date from my mother's birth in
Richardsville, and then all the way back to Jamestown.  I am one of those
darn genealogists.

I know that many of the cuts affecting the Library of Virginia are already
in place, and very little can be done to reverse them.  But I wanted to make
sure that you knew that LOV is the reason that I spent over a week in
Virginia last year, and am planning to spend a week there this year.  My
money is new money to Virginia, as is the money spent by many more
genealogists.  When you are contemplating additional cuts, make sure you
consider that the Library of Virginia brings in money, not just spends it.
I am sure that an economist could make some estimate from the use records of
the Library just how much money the Library brings to the state, even if it
does not reflect directly on the Library's books.

I implore you take my spending, and the spending of all of the other
genealogists who have roots in Virginia, into account when any additional
cuts to the Library are contemplated.  And maybe consider reversing some of
the current cuts.
I hope your Christmas is a wonderful and joyous occasion,
and may your new year be as bright as the
lone star that led the wise men on the first Christmas night.

Merry Christmas.
May many blessings touch you and yours this holiday season.