VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2002

From:
Elizabeth Herod <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elizabeth Herod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:57:35 -0400
on 9/9/02 11:47 AM, Tom/Susanna Howle at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Can anyone refer me to a good style manual for writing a genealogy book.
> Several years ago, I saw a reference to a book with a title similar to "Using
> WordPerfect to Write a Genealogy Book" but I never found a copy.  I need help
> with various format issues such as selecting fonts, italicisizing vs
> underlining, etc., etc., as well as suggestions on presenting evidence, etc.
> Thanks for your help.  Thomas C. Howle

Thomas--

Elizabeth is far too modest.  :D  I would highly recommend her book,
³Evidence!  Citation & Analysis for the Family Historian² by Elizabeth Shown
Mills.

This book is recommended for anyone who writes or publishes anything.  I
keep it next to my computer, and refer to it whenever I write anything that
will be viewed by others, (bibliography, syllabi, etc.).

In my opinion, your sources are your most important piece of information,
and should follow the standards set forth in Elizabethıs book.

As far as the desktop publishing goes, in the DTP world, the best fonts to
use are Times, Verdana, Helvetica and Courier.  The problem that I have with
Courier is that it is a mono-spaced font, and will not look as nice as any
of the Times or Verdana fonts.  Another thing to remember is that one should
never use more than three fonts on pages like your title page.  Generally,
less is better.

There are also a number of good web sites that can help you with some basics
in DTP.  If you need more information, let me know.  I used to teach DTP to
High School students.

Beth Herod