VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2005

From:
Marie McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 00:47:12 -0400
Just curious.  Have seen the term "newbie" on the list countless times
(often times in less than complimentary terms), and was wondering what
mathematical formula is utilized to justify the graduation of a "newbie"
to "non-newbie".   I have spent the past 3 years working full time on
nothing but research and documentation of my ancestry.  I don't consider
myself a "newbie" by any stretch of the imagination, but I know my 3 years
is a drop in the bucket for someone like Paul.  Conversely, I know of
people who have worked on their lines for 20, 30 or more years, and they
have little in the way of documentation to support their research (I know
because I have shared a significant amount of my research and
documentation with these folks).  However, I remember how lost I felt when
I started, when all I wanted was some idea of how to get started, and when
I was made to feel small and insignifant by "experienced genealogists" who
hated to be bothered by "newbies".  That said, I would implore all
you "old hands" to remember what it was like in the beginning of your
journey, limit the use of the term "newbie" and its negative connotation,
and make every effort to assist those who follow you (as you once followed
others!).  Marie McKinney