VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:26:17 EDT
In a message dated 9/30/2002 4:10:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> The index is
> available only (unfortunately) at their John D. Rockefeller, Jr., Library in
> Williamsburg on microfilm.

At the risk of offending all and sundry, why has there not been a critical
mass of demand to make this microfilmed index available broadly for sale and
rental?  It seems as though the Rockefeller library could actually make a
tidy contribution to its funds from such a venture?   I assume there isn't
even a copy (available to the public anyway) at LVA or in Salt Lake?  I also
assume that something in the Library's Charter or other conditions, prevents
circulation.  I thought only the parishes in Wales limited circulation of
their resources like this.

Thank you for your response.

Janet Hunter