VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

From:
Rob Jolly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rob Jolly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 12:01:34 -0600
Sorry the delayed response to this posting; I've been away from the list for
a few days.

Regarding comparative valuation of wealth/inventories over different time
periods, there is a web site called How Much Is That Worth Today? that might
be of some help:
 http://www.eh.net/hmit/ppowerbp/

It does not really tell how much a certain value of pounds, shillings &
pence are worth TODAY, as it calculates a value in pounds as of last year
(2001). Using are very "rough" rate of 1.5 dollars per pound in 2001/2002,
you can get a ballpark idea of what the value might be in today's $.

From the site mentioned above, the entire estate value of 174 pounds in 1717
would be worth 17,624 pounds in 2001 and around $26,436 today.

Likewise, books valued at 10 pounds then would be worth about 1,013 pounds
(2001) or about $1,520 today.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Rob