VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2002

From:
Pat Dunford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Dunford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:48:56 -0700
From: Pat's Kith and Kin [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 10:47
To: acottrell; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: 1820 census

columns 16, 22,and 23.  Each of these columns 16 and 22 has a one in place
and column 23 which is 45 and c also has a 1.  Is 45  and c ages 45 and
upwards.  Are columns 16 and 22 free colored.  Thanks for your help.
Ancestry Census records are not clear on these points.<<<<

This may help if you are looking at an actual photo or copy of the census.
If you are looking at someone else's transcription, I doubt it.

From an enumeration sheet at Ancestry.com, I find the following:

Numbering from the left: (not counting a column used on this sheet that does
not appear on the census, it is for "county, township" etc., so you can use
one sheet for more than one census page)

Column 1: Names of heads of families
Columns 2-7: Free white, males
        2 = Under 10 years
        3 = 10-under 16
        4 = 16 - 18
        5 = 16 - 26, including heads of families (this is correct, presumably the
enumerator would choose one or the other, if a 17 year old male was "head of
family" he would go here, otherwise, in column 5)
        6 = 26 - 45, including heads of families
        7 = 45 and up, including heads of families
Columns 10-12: Free white, females
        8 = Under 10
        9 = 10 - < 16
        10 = 16 - < 26, including heads of families
        11 = 26 - <45, including heads of families
        12 = 45 - and up, including heads of families
Column 13: Foreigners not naturalized
Column 14: Persons engaged in Agriculture
Column 15: Persons engaged in Commerce
Column 16: Persons engaged in Manufacture
Columns 17-20: Slaves, males
        17 = Under 14
        18 = 14 - < 26
        19 = 26 - < 45
        20 =  45 and up
Columns 21-24: Slaves, females
        21 = Under 14
        22 = 14 - < 26
        23 = 26 - < 45
        24 =  45 and up
Columns 25-28: Free Colored, males
        25 = Under 14
        26 = 14 - < 26
        27 = 26 - < 45
        28 =  45 and up
Columns 29-32: Free Colored, females
        29 = Under 14
        30 = 14 - < 26
        31 = 26 - < 45
        32 = 45 and up

Column 33: All other persons except Indians not taxed

I checked this against a couple of census photocopies, where the headings
were actually listed, and found it to be pretty accurate.  Some question on
the age of male slaves.  One reference had "under 16" while others had
"under 14".  So, I don't know where your problem fits in here, but maybe you
can use this.

Good Luck.

Pat D