VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:32:35 -0600
My .PAF program is going to be so delighted with me, it will probably
stop with those "Look Dummy, this date is Not Standard pop-ups...  "

I get VA-ROOTS by Digest and I don't know yet if any of the personal
replies were also sent to the list, none look like they were
doubly-addressed;  so for anyone else befuddled suchly, the gist of what
I learned today from the gracious folks here is that New Year's Day in
the Julian Calendar or "Old Style" [the O.S. after some dates] used prior
to 1752, and maybe a bit longer by the Mormons, was March 25th..

....so 7ber <iii iiii> would likely be September, if like me, you've
forgotten your highschool Latin & that 7=Sept and 8=Oct, etc., and on top
of everything else in that switchover year to the Gregorian Calendar
everything got goofy of course losing a bunch of days or gaining them
depending on your perspective, which probably explains why we do the
1730/31 thingie before 1752, not that nobody could remember their own
birthdays.

[I am also grateful to Henry for his inquiry which caused me to dig up
those mysterious parish registers today and remember what I'd neglected
to ask a long time ago.]

Thank you, all of you, for your help.
Cynthia

.