VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2002

Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:59:19 EDT
In a message dated 09/27/2002 10:40:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> << http://www.firstfamilies.org/db/ >>
> looking thru the BASE of ancestors, I find references to the same old
> ersatz
> sources
> we have battled for decades...is there no way we can oppose the continuance
> of the
> old tired sources without having to join?   I am not eligible, being a man,
> for the Colonial Dames, for example, and do not know how to correct or
> share
> any of my forty plus years work....HELP...anyone else out there who agrees?

I agree.  I have only looked closely at one.  That of Capt. William Powell on
the "List of Honor".  I have repeatedly told the owner of this website that
the data is not correct.  He was not a brother to Nathaniel and Thomas Powell
as is proved by court records, but his reply to me is that I should give him
the correct data for Capt. William Powell.  I have no desire to nor is it my
duty to spend my time making corrections for him and my point is that if he
is to have a valid and believable website, it is his responsibility to check
the sources. He lists the "Fraudulent Lineages", but in my opinion they could
all be considered fraudulent if the only one that I checked, certainly, is.
The only sources listed for Capt. William Powell is two FTM CDs.  Who on
earth would accept that as a source?

The societies like the Colonial Dames, DAR, SAR, Daughters of American
Colonists require a primary document as proof of every statement made.  This
is the only way to have it believable and this website should require proof
or shut down as I wouldn't waste my time reading it without sources.  Surely,
the men have such societies that you could join.

Julia French Wood