VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:53:14 EDT
Hello Everyone,

I recently uncovered something I copied three or four years ago when looking
for a transcribed/abstracted copy of Robert Hyde's 1710s will in York Co
(original somewhere in Williamsburg I think).

I had written in frustration across the top of the page something like:
James City = NOTHING; New Kent Co = NOTHING; Charles City Co = ALMOST
NOTHING; and York Co = PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING, BUT BOOKS AFTER 1700.

Now that I have more and more lines all pointing back to that little finger
of land between the York and James Rivers, and I know many others do, I am
wondering:

(a) Rhetorically why, given the extensive abstracts in the 1700s for other
counties done by Sparacios, Weisigers,and others, etc., has there been
virtually no abstracts of York Co post-1700 records published (I know about
the TLC 1730s books)?   I have gone through the LVA catalog online looking at
the York Co books.

(b) Are there any abstracts for these 1700 York Co records underway?

Yes, I am aware that a subsantial portion of the documents have been
microfilmed, but I am still curious about the above questions.

Thanks in advance,

Janet Hunter