VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:36:48 EST
Hello Everyone,

I recently obtained the inventory of an ancestor, Robert HYDE (wife Jane
UNDERHILL), who died about 1717 in York Co. VA.   Robert Hyde was a lawyer,
and his inventory includes quite a number of horses and cattle, but none of
the items one would associate with any sort of agricultural production, so I
assume he either lived in Williamsburg or somewhere in the vicinity of
Felgate Creek (need to do the deed work).  There are several entries for
tableware, tumblers and candlesticks, some pewter but others difficult to
read.  He has several beds/furniture/trunks/chests/chairs.

His inventory includes five slaves valued at £ 10, 28, 28, 20, and 20.

The other large entry is £ 10 for a parcell books.   The total value of the
inventory is £174.14.

I have two questions.

Can anyone tell me how extensive a library in 1717 valued at £10 might be?
Would this be a large library?

Second, a cousin with whom I've been exchanging inventories for primarily
plantation owners,  most 50 or more years later, commented that he was not
particularly wealthy, with an inventory of only £174..  I pointed out that
(a) he had, because he didn't need more, few slaves the largest single item
in most of the sizeable inventories; (b) we don't have information on his
real estate; and (c) there was probably an inflation factor involved.   One
specific inventory in comparison I was told was "wealthy" was in 1761,
Chesterfield Co., a tobacco planter with 21 slaves, whose estate was valued
at more than £1,200.

FYI, I know there are some calculators out there but I couldn't find them.
Footnote, I don't see a phaeton or anything, but he did have a canoe!

Best Regards,
Janet Hunter