VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2003

From:
westview <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 13:48:54 -0400
individual.  That said, are you saying that when someone posts a query a
reply should be sent only to that individual and not to the whole list?  I,
for one, would object to that.  The whole point of the list is to share
information.  Although I very seldom see anything on this list that relates
to my personal research, I have learned a tremendous amount by monitoring
other people's research.  Many times I see queries come across that never
appear to be answered, then something will come across that gives me to
understand that the question had been answered privately --- extremely
aggravating.

As to the entire thread of messages being resent if you hit "Reply All":  as
Paul said, offtimes you need the prior messages to understand the current
one.  If, like me and probably most of our listers, you belong to multiple
lists, it helps to have the whole thread each time -- that allows you to
delete prior messages about the same subject instead of endlessly keeping
them "on hold" in your inbox.

The LVA list is very large and active; if your mailbox is being clogged by
messages, may I suggest you switch to the digest mode for receiving e-mail
from the list.  Or, as has often been stated, you can always use the delete
key for what you don't care to read.

Kathy Liston