VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

From:
Richard Fulton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Fulton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:09:01 -0600
I could not find an exact verfication of LINCOLN receiving only 1402 votes
in Virginia in the 1860 Presidential Election, but it is entirely possible,
if not likely that this is true.
Keep in mind that in 1860, only White Males over age 21 could vote and that
there were 4 major candidates running, Lincoln, Stephen Douglas, John
Breckinridge, and John Bell.    Of these LINCOLN because of his and his
party's stance on Slavery was very unpopular in Virginia.     John Bell of
Tennessee had strong VA ties and received 76% of the vote.    I don't have
totals, but the other Southerner in the race, John Breckinridge probably
received most of the rest.      So it is quite likely that LINCOLN could
have only received 1402 votes.

1860 Virginia Population:     1.6 million
Of these 549,000 were Negros and could not vote
Of the White population of 1,047,000, about 50%, or about 525,000, were
women and could not vote
Of the approximately 550,000 White Males in 1860 Virginia, about two
thirds, or about 360,000, were under 21 and could not vote

Of the remains approximately 190,000 White Males over 21 eligible to vote,
we have to estimate the turnout.    If the turnout was 70%, that would mean
that LINCOLN got about 1% of the vote, probably correct.

Thanks,   Rich Fulton, [log in to unmask]
World Wide Mid-Market Sales Executive, zSeries SW, SWG
IBM, home office
2409 Columbia Drive
Flower Mound, TX. 75022  USA
Phone: 972-724-4794, t/l 450-8996
mobile:  469-360-3875
---------------------- Forwarded by Richard Fulton/Dallas/IBM on 02/26/2004

Please respond to [log in to unmask]

Sent by:    "Research and writing about Virginia genealogy and family
history." <[log in to unmask]>