VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:43:33 EST
Am searching for information on the ancestry of Margaret Smith, who married
Barney Painter on 10 August 1819 in Botetourt County, VA. The bond was
provided by a David Smith.

Barney Painter is found in 1840 Kanawha County. He died prior to the 1850
Census in either Putnam or Kanawha County, VA/WV. Barney's widow, Margaret
Smith Painter is found in 1850 Putnam County, VA/WV Census records & later in
the household of Wilson Boggess, her son-in-law, in 1860 Kanawha County,
VA/WV.

I have been told that Margaret is the brother of a Robert McCoy Smith.
Possible father for Margaret is a William Elisha/Elijah Smith. According to
another researcher, Margaret's parents are Samuel Smith and Jane Edwards.
Because David Smith is mentioned on Margaret's wedding record, he should
probably be given serious consideration as the father. Would guess that he's
a brother or cousin at worse.

Thank you in advance for any information. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Mike Peters