VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 10:31:08 -0600
Very recently I had sent directly by attachment, whatever I had on the
TODD family to someone on this list who has an aol.com addy.  Routinely I
ask that aol users let me know if they receive whatever I send.  [This of
course is silly because if they didn't receive the reply in the first
place -  how would they know to rsvp? ...aol.com does not release so much
as a semi-courteous automagic "bounce" notice to let anyone on either end
know.

When aol.com gets snotty (which is often) it will arbitrarily reject all
further communication from other usually 'private' servers, yes
*Servers*. ISPs, everything from the WHOLE server is blocked like my
netwurx.net which I use to send an attachment rather than this juno.com
mailbox. Why this is so I have no idea, maybe another screwball attempt
to corner the market,  but if any of you are so unfortunate as to have to
depend on aol.com, don't.

They will claim it's to protect their customers from Viruii or some such
nonsense but don't believe it - the only rare viruses I've ever gotten is
From aol addies. [Clearly if viruses eat up data - aol.com itself is a
virus perpetrated on the public]

Please keep that in mind and find a way to reconnect with anyone you feel
surprised at suddenly not hearing from again,
'specially if it's me. <iii  iiii>
Cynthia, befuxterated this morning

Oh PS and Do use Virus protection like Norton Anti-Virus or something on
your machines and Don't open any attachments from folks who don't, even
if they're friends & family - especially if they're friends and family.