VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2016

From:
Hilary Derby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2016 13:55:15 -0500
Good afternoon!
You may want to Google the following:
"free black African Americans, Port Republic, Virginia, history"

There were slave owners in Virginia, 1853-1865 with the surname "Curry and
Currie" in the following counties:
Curry:  Rockbridge, Chesterfield, Mecklenburg, Henrico, Gloucester
Currie: Lancaster

Contact the local Historical Society and the Genealogical Society.

 Unknown No Longer:  A Database of Virginia Slave Names.
<http://unknownnolonger.vahistorical.org/>  There are two Currie names
listed in this database.  Did not check for McCurry or MacCurry, etc.

Let us know if you find the family!

Hilary

*Hilary G. Derby, Ph.D.*

*Tree Branches Unlimited,  LLC, *
*Member, Association of Professional Genealogists*