VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2008

Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:52:46 -0400
I don't think so.  I think most people are busy with their families for
the summer.

It's great that there is a lot of information on the internet - censuses,
BMD, Civil War and Revolutionary War information, obituaries, and all the
transcriptions and databases of cemeteries and the like.  Even the user
contributed trees are good to have.  You can tell right away if there are
sources attached, and even if not, there might be some clues that you can
use.

The Library of Virginia is great.  One stop for most of the historical
information you want about people who lived in Virginia, and you can
borrow microfilm on ILL.  And our local library has the indices for
births and marriages.   The old newspapers have been a big help.  The
only limitation is that more recent information is not available there.

The place I have problems with is Ancestry's One World Tree.  They
arbitrarily match people up, and I have had several very angry cousins
claiming that I or another cousin had married her mother to her
grandfather and her father, or added an extra 20 children that didn't
belong to one couple, with most born in different places.   It took
several emails back and forth trying to calm the person down to find out
what the problem was, and it turned out to be Ancestry's One World Tree.

When we started researching around 1990, we wrote down the information we
had from my grandparents address books and diaries.  My grandfather knew
that his grandfather - Philip Webster Kirtland was a 7th generation
American, but nothing more than that.  The 1850 census was the latest
that was indexed at that time, and that gave the information (his
parents) needed to connect to published genealogies of the Kirtland
family.   We got email in 1995 and shortly after that the internet.  I
amazed my grandfather by downloading a photograph of the lighthouse that
his grandfather had been the keeper for--simple stuff today.

After meeting some cousins online, we noted that we weren't finding any
living cousins on the internet for families that had not been in the US
since 1800.  (We weren't finding information on more recent immigrants).
But that's where the internet helped as time went on.  My grandmother
wanted my Dad to go to Sweden and find her cousins - 1 of 13 siblings
remained in Sweden and had children.  He went but didn't have time to
look for them.  I put a message on a message board like this one, but for
southern Sweden, and within a week, I had an email from a living cousin
in Sweden.

So, another advantage of the internet is meeting cousins.  The only
reluctance I've seen is in sharing information about living people.  I
will share that with cousins, but it doesn't go on the internet.

Sue