VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2002

From:
Jim Greve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Greve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:58:09 -0400
Depends on what year you're talking, and there was more than one church in
Bristol Parish.  Bristol Parish was in Charles City County until Prince
George was formed in 1702.

After the parish was formed in 1643, the "mother" church was at Bermuda
Hundred.   The first church on the east side of the Appomattox River was
probably City Church, there being strong evidence of a mision in the
vicinity of City Creek below Broadway Landing.  The location of City Church
was marked on the original plat for the town of Broadway when Thomas
Broadway laid the land off in 1700.  (See Francis Earle Lutz, THE PRINCE
GEORGE-HOPEWELL STORY, 1957: p. 31-32).

A second church was built in the parish around 1693.  Known generally as the
Ferry Chapel, it stood near Bollings Point. (Lutz, pp. 49).

In the 1730's the vestry considered replacing Ferry Chapel.  In 1734, the
vestry purchased an acre of land on Wellses Hill from John Low.  A new
church of brick was ordered built on 11 March 1734.  It was first called
Wells Church and is now called Old Blandford Church.  The site was called
inconvenient by parishoners.   In addition to Lutz, see the VIRGINIA
HISTORICAL INVENTORY website and search "Old Blandford Church."

Another church, Jones Hole Chapel, was ordered built one mile north of Reams
Station just east of the Dinwiddie line.  There were three changes in
location before it was completed.  The last ordered that it be built at the
Harricane - and so it is sometimes referred to as Harricane Church.  (Lutz,
pp. 64-65).

Jim Greve
Archivist
The Library of Virginia