VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2010

Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 02:55:15 -0500
Val -
When I was taping oral histories of Powhatan County seniors, most gone now, I interviewed the owner of a large home on the river where the old Watkins Landing is located ... he told me how his aunts would row across the river there, and the conductor knowing they were coming would hold the train if they were a bit late... they often, when the river was low, have to get out on an island in the river and wade across! They did this rain, snow, sleet or shine... had jobs in Richmond when it was frowned upon for women to work. He then told me how his father needed some income and he started the coal mines at Watkins's Landing (all sealed now), how some stretched under the river, and how it cost more to get it than he could sell it for, so he closed them down and sealed them up.

Amazing interview and I remember most of it vividly - since his death, one of his daughters and her wealthy husband have updated the home but not taken away the beauty... in the summer when the doors are open you can see straight through the house and that was how they kept it cool before AC -

He told me he was 'house rich' and 'pocketbook poor'... those old houses are expensive to maintain, even this one which is all brick!

Diane

  There is a Watkins LANDING  in Powhatan...   Very similar name - and
  it's on the river because there is a public boat landing there because
  it has always been a good place to cross the river...
  http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/news/release.asp?id=203

  Val