VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2006

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 07:53:10 -0500
Be careful what perpetual calendar you use. All should remember that for anyone born before 1752 who died after that year, one must correct for the 12 days missing in 1752 - Sept. 2 to 14.

That was the month and
year that we abandoned Julian in favor of the Gregorian Calendar.  Then too, until that year what we would call New Years Day was March 21, the 1st month of the year was March, and the last day of the year was the last day of February.

Still though in our business dealings with Britain and with France, they had changed their calendars in 1652 and in 1732 respectively, as I recall (correct me if these years are inaccurate).

So what? It makes a difference; Geo. Washington's Mom would have said and be correct in giving his birth date and year as Feb. 22, 1731, and not in 1732 as we now declare it to have been.  Once again, the only significant effect of the change was in the payment of taxes due, the economics of their day, and in such as log books and account ledgers.

Paul