VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

From:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
paul drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:34:30 -0600
Wherever and whenever personal property was taxed (and it often was), books were a portion of that tax base, particularly since those were not commonly owned and expensive to acquire.  I have no authority to cite, however it has been written that Bibles, prayer and psalm books, and such as the "Whole Duty Of Man" were exempted.

The whole matter of values must be considered in light of the years involved.  For the first 200 years of our settlement here, the inflation rate was said to have averaged about 1%.  I am not an accountant, hence I leave that rate to you as but a suggestion.  Paul