VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 01:17:27 -0600
I'm sorry, that wasn't clear to me either when I read it over, and I also
see I meandered erroneously; let me try again while referring to my
actual records rather than off the top of my head:

Extract from Culpeper County, Va. Court Order Book dated 16 Feb 1819:
"Ordered that it be certified to the Secretary of War of the United
States that, Sally Faver, Philip Saml. Clayton, Geo. Clayton,   Ann C.
Strother, Thomas Clayton the heirs of Philip Clayton dec. are the only
heirs. Representatives of Robert Clayton who died with service of the
United States."

The year is 1819.

1. Sally Faver is unknown to me.  She could be a married dau of Robert or
remarried widow or?

2. Philip Saml Clayton is likely 2nd Mjr. Philip Clayton although I
wasn't aware of his middle name being Samuel [he does have a son about 7
yrs old of that same first and middle name living at that time]. His
other children living in 1819 are not being counted as heirs in this
circumstance, however, so I'm assuming it's the 2nd Mjr, not his son, and
may just be reasonable proof for the side of an ongoing contention that
2nd Mjr died in 1821 not 1816.
3. Geo. Clayton
4. Ann C. Strother (Nancy CLAYTON who m. Jeremiah STROTHER]
5. Thomas Clayton

2-5 are all Robert Coleman Clayton's siblings, grandchildren of Old Major
Philip Clayton, dec., 1786, and the documented children of Samuel Clayton
dec., 1798.

The missing sibling, Saml, jr. is my ancestor which would corroborate my
other indications that he has died prior to 1820. No, I first thought
maybe there's just a comma missing between Philip Saml - but not, each
name concludes with their surname.  My Sam'l had m. Catherine PRICE, dau
of Wm., 24 May 1786 in Shenandoah Co.,Va. and had gone off to Bourbon
Co., Kentucky where he had military bounty land surveyed along Stoner
Creek near Paris on 25 Oct 1792;  he appears there on the tax lists as
early as 1795, and the 1810 Bourbon Co. Census has him married with
children 13201 20101.

There, without a Will to be found as yet, nor guardian papers to attach
the other names to the census numbers, the paper trail ends, as there are
no CLAYTON households in Bourbon Co., Kentucky by the 1820 Census.

Yet his son, my ancestor, George Price CLAYTON & wife Rebecca FIELD's
first two children are born in Bourbon Co.;  Louisa in 1823 & Samuel
Thomas in 1825. Their third child is born 3 January 1827 in Crawford Co.,
ILL. which indicates they'd moved on during 1826.

From then on the records are readily at hand as we reach the more
informative 1850 Census and have current back to 1850.  It's just that
big gaping hole in Kentucky where I can't seem to fill in the rest of the
story.  I'd hoped maybe Sally Faver would provide another clue.

..