VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2016

From:
"Crawford, Greg (LVA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2016 18:19:45 +0000
Here is a link to the finding aid for the Augusta County Cohabitation Register - http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaxtf/view?docId=lva/vi01642.xml

It provides the information you are asking about. The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands directed the Assistant Superintendents of the states to order the county clerks to make a registry of such cohabiting former slave couples.

Here is a link to an Out of the Box blog story to learn more - http://www.virginiamemory.com/blogs/out_of_the_box/2015/07/29/augusta-co-cohabitation-register/

Greg Crawford

Local Records Program Manager

Library of Virginia