VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:35:05 -0600
>The war? What war? The Revolutionary War? I was unaware of any
>major destruction that took place in Fredericksburg during the
Revolution

I'm sorry.  There are times when my little brain carries on as if the
Whole World is only as large as My Family.

[Roger Dixon's daughter Mildred married Lt. Philip CLAYTON [1746-1807],
the son of my ancestor's (old Major Philip Clayton of Culpeper)  brother
Sam [1715-1782]....

It is believed that Roger Dixon's house was set afire and burned to the
ground during the Revolution.  Being that Roger Dixon's "house"
practically comprised the whole of Fredericksburg at the time...well you
know and stuck out like a sore thumb..., but "decimated Fredericksburg"
was rather a leap.  : )

Keeping in mind that most these old families had strong ties to the
mother country both familial & financial and that Roger died prior to all
hell breaking loose, his home & all it's imported finery likely stood as
a symbol of a passing era to whomevers burned it down.

In the heat of the moment, I doubt these whomevers were aware that Mrs.
Lt.-Clayton who would serve in the Rev was a Dixon, nor that there was
any remote family connection between the old Clayton farm in Culpeper
where they all (the Virginia Minute Men) first encamped and some garish
mansion in Fredericksburg.

Cynthia, getting back to serious work now
Uhmm PS:   George didn't have any kids.  This doesn't necessarily mean he
didn't mess around any.  [He wore awfully tight pants]  His dad, Capt.
Augustine m. Mary Ball, I believe, 6 Mar 1730/31.
Jefferson, on the other hand was not so philosophically compartmentalized
as average folk, nor sterile.  It's not any leap at all to conclude he
actually loved the Heming lady and she, him & that this is less of a
'slavery issue'  than it is a human one.  [Before trains, planes, and the
internet, human beings stumbled over their soulmates within few mile
radius of home... ]  Whatever, none of the above being direct ancestors &
hopefully practicing MMOB,  I am really going to get back to serious work
now.

..