VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2007

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:34:48 -0600
 Good information, Harold.

Your facts once again confirm my view that a 18th- or 19th-Century westward
moving family was likely to advance at no more than 8-10 miles per day,
especially if that family or group included any weak or old adults or young
children.  In fact, if there were two and more wagons (as there usually
were) it is likely that the movement would be even a tad slower, since it is
hard to imagine a group of wagons that had identical needs for rest and such
as water, for the care of any sick folks or to tend to the needs of the
animals.  I found it interesting that Civil War supply officers presumed
that a horse or a mule moving across unfamiliar land would throw at least
one shoe every 20 - 25 days.  In such events, re-shoeing of an animal then
was NOT accomplished by phoning the friendly neighborhood Ferrier !.

Thank you. Merry Xmas to you and yours, my friend.