VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2012

From:
Janice Friel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:24:28 -0400
Bill

I think the Smith's you are referring to are not connected to my Smiths. I
also have not proved the parent of my Edward Smith, Sr. who married Lettice
 Green. I have proved Lettice Green's family.

Here are some notes I have on Edward Smith, Sr. and sources.

Notes: Ancestors  and  Descendants of Smiths by Cheek

In1700, Burr Harrison I, Stafford records included a request by Burr
Harrison to be appointed guardian to the children of Edward Smith, he having
married the widow who was now deceased. On Oct 1702 Burr Harrison as guardian
of  William, Edward and Katherine Smith, children of Edward and Lettice
Smith, and  grandchildren of Ann Scarlett of Stafford, and refer to the sale of
land to  George Mason.

"Harrison of North Virginia" by W. G. Stanard

There is an immigration record for an Edward Smith.
Edward Smith....-Age  20 in Virginia Muster, February 4, 1624/5
Passengers from the Port of London  on the George to Virginia
Smith, Edward...................20 (Proctor  servant)
Arrived on the George in 1621

Approbation of the following persons as duputy-lieutenants of the county of
 Gloucester

Edward Smith, Esq.

Genealogy Quest

To add, Edward Smith, Jr. is proved through his marriage to Mary Bell and
his will. In that will he names Mary Bell, his wife, and the land she
inherited  from her father Roger Bell. Mary was probably born about 1700 in King &
 Queen co., because in the 1704 Quit Rent Roll in that county Roger Bell
had land  there. She probably died about 1776.

Her husband Edward Smith was probably born 1693 Stafford County and died
Sept 23, 1756, Orange county. There children were: Thomas, Ambrose, John,
Isabelle and Elizabeth.

Here is the notes and information I have on Edward Smith.

The Smith Family

Ancestors & Descendants of Smith's
By Linda G. Cheek

Edward Smith, Sr.
Died: 1698 Stafford County, Va.
Married:  Lettice Green, she (M) 2nd Burr Harrison, born 1637, died 1706
Stafford County,  Va. Daughter of Ann & William Green
Married 2nd: Jane Calvert

Children
1. Catherine Smith m. John Hancock of Fairfax County, Va. He  died 1740.

2. William Smith m. Lettice Barton, first cousin, daughter of Ann Green
(sister to Lettice Green Smith) and Edward Barton.

3. James Smith

4. John Smith no children, estate to brother Edward smith, Jr. of Stafford
County, Va.

5. Edward Smith, Jr. died will 1756 Orange County, Va. m. Mary Bell,
daughter of Roger Bell.
Children
1. John Smith
2. Isabell Smith
3.  Elizabeth Smith
4. Ambrose Smith left a will in Orange County, Va. in 1770

Sept. 2, 1732. William Bohannan and Sarah, his wife, of St. Stephen's
Pariah, King & Queen Co., to Edward Smith of same Parish and County, Boe 10  5s.
Curr., 200 a. in St. George's Parish, Spots. County---part of pat. Granted
John Cook Sept. 28, 1728. R. BELL, Robert x Tunwell, Eliza. x Bell. Sept.
5,  1732. (Spotsylvania County Records)
Edward Smith was the son-in-law of ROGER  BELL, Sr.

Will, left to wife Mary Smith, "land which was left to her by her  father
Roger Bell and which I sold to William Cleaton. Witnesses, Roger and John
Bell". A land transfer by the widow shows children, Ambrose, Isabella and
Elizabeth, wife of James Atkins. (Orange County Families)

Deed Book 1 & 2 1735-1738
Pages 350-55. 24-25 May 1738. Daniel Cook  and Hester his wife of St.
Mark's Parish, Orange Couty, to EDWARD SMITH of St.  Stephen's Parish, King and
Queen County.   Lease and release; for L 7  current money.
100 acres in the fork of Purmunkey River.... in John  Henderson's line...

                                            Daniel (A)  Cook
Hester (E) Cook

Wit: ROGER BELL, Thomas (T) Burgis, Abraham Mayfield.
25 May 1738.  Acknowledged by Daniel Cook. On motion of ROGER BELL admitted
to record.

Extract of the Will Of Edward  Smith
17th day of Sept. 1755

Item:  I give to my son John Smith & my daughter Isabell Smith 200  a. of
land lying in Orange Co. in St Thomas Parish in the fork of Parmunky
adjoining the land of John Henderson in the aforesaid Co. purchased from William
Bohannon to be equally divided between them with all conveniences, my
daughter  Isabell having first choice.

Item:  It is my desire if my son John Smith shall by any claim or  right to
100a. of land which I sold to Wm. Cleaton lying in the fork of  Marrowcoca
Creek left by ROGER BELL to his daughter MARY SMITH, the wife of  Edward
Smith & reover the aforesaid land by law, then it is my desire that  the
aforesaid 100 a. of land which I pay a bond which I gave Wm. Cleaton in
Marrowcoca Creek my son Ambrose Smith having the renarson of money more than
complied with aforesaid bond: the aforesaid land to the highest bidder.

Item: I give to my daughter Elizabeth Atkins the wife of James Atkins, one
hundred acres that I purchased of Daniel Cook in the Co. and Par. aforesaid
 adjoining to the land of Samuel Brockman.

Item:   I give unto my son Ambrose Smith 150 a. of land in the  Co. & Par.
aforesaid, lying in the S. side of the North Hannah River in the  fork of
the Purmunkey adjoining the land of ROGER BELL.

Item:   The rest of my personable estate in what place  whatsoever, I give
to my wife Mary Smith during her widowhood, but if she is  disposed to
marry, then it is my desire that my personable estate be equally  divided amongst
my aforementioned children & my wife having an equal  part.

Item:   Lastly, I appoint my wife Mary Smith and my son Ambrose  Smith & in
case of his demise, the next heir in law, Exors. of my last  will.
Sept. 17,  1755
Edward Smith
Signed in presence of

ROGER BELL
JOHN BELL

The abstract of the will of Edward Smith mentions a possible argument over
who gets the land given by Roger Bell dec'd to his daughter Mary. So Edward
 Smith m. Mary Bell, dau.of Roger Bell, Sr.. I suspect Roger Bell, Sr.
never  lived in Orange Co., Va. and his will was probated in King & Queen Co.,
Va.  He probably died years before Smith's will was written.Smith's will says
"land  given his daughter Mary". That suggests to me that Mary wasn't
married yet when  her father wrote the will.

This JOHN BELL who witnessed the will is probably the son of ROGER BELL.
Marrowcoca Creek in Edward Smith's will was probably Maracosic. It runs from
northwest of Bowling Green (county seat of Caroline) to the southeast until
it  runs into the Mattaponi River. Maracosia Creek is now part of the
current  boundary between Caroline and K & Q, although more of the Creek was
located  in King & Queen in 1735.
Drysdale Parish was in the western part od K  & Q.

At a court held for Orange Co. on the 23rd day of Sept.1756.
This will  was presented into court by Mary Smith & Ambrose Smith Exors.
therein named  & proved by oaths of ROGER BELL & JOHN BELL, witnesses thereto
&  ordered to be recorded. On the motion of these Exors. who made oath
according to  Law Certificate was granted therefore obtaining Letters of Probate
in due form  giving security on which they with ROGER BELL & Charles Smith
their  securities entered into and acknowledged their bond according to law.

                          Test                 George Taylor, Clerk

Who was Charles Smith mentioned above.

Some Smith notes came from "Ancestors and Descendants of Smiths, by Linda
G. Cheek

April 27, 1723, John Beale testator to will of Edward Smith, Annapolis. Md.
 Cal. Wills. Vol. V, folis 144
1723, John Beale executor to will Mary Smith,  widow, Annapolis. Md. Cal.
Wills, folis 171
sources
Bladen County N.C. wills
Orange County Va. Wills
Fairfax  County, Va. Wills
Mrs.E.K. Thrawley ( gave up research)
S.C. Genealogical  Society Lineage Chart Volume II 92a and 154
Linda G. Cheek
Route 8 Box  48
Easley, S.C.29640

Janice

In a message dated 7/19/2012 10:18:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,