VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2000

From:
"Mary M. Zashin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary M. Zashin
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 23:21:14 -0700
VA-ROOTS Digest - 8 Oct 2000 to 9 Oct 2000 (#2000-16)Charleen, Here is the information I have.

Robert Taliaferro, b. Nov. 11, 1629, Stepney Parish, Middlesex, England, d. bet. November, 1670, and November, 1671, in Essex County, Virginia.  He married Katherine Debnam abt. 1654, in Hampton Parish, York County, Virginia.  She was the stepdaughter of the Rev. Charles Grymes.  Her mother, Catherine, was the widow of William Debnam, who d. before 1657 in Gloucester County, Virginia.  What her maiden name was is not known (at least to me).

Katherine Debnam's sister Anne married Edward Hoyle.  Her sister Mary probably married the well-known Lawrence Smith of Gloucester County.  Thre are two references about this matter.  "Katherine (___) (Debman) Grymes and Some Relatives, Rudolf Loeser, The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 41; and "The Townleys and Warners of Virginia and Their English Connections," Mary B. D. McCurdy, Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, v. 81.

Mr. Loeser points out that previous reserachers had confused William Debnam with a different man, Henry Dedman.  It was apparently William Debnam, not Henry Dedman, whose daughter married Robert Taliaferro.

Unfortunately, no one has apparently located the elusive Catherine (maiden name unknown) Debnam-Grymes.  If anyone has since the above articles were published, I would be glad to know of it.

Hope this helps.  Polly Zashin