VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2012

From:
margie pollock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:43:47 -0700
if you read William Bartram's travels 1765's, he traveled by boat from Phila taking the Meherrin river in VA on to cape fear river and lake maccamaw in N. Carolina then along coast to Charleston to south Georgia and walked or took boat passages into Florida as far as de Leon Springs and into Alabama.
His son, John, also took a journey and wrote about it in 1773. there are maps in THE NATURES OF JOHN & WILLIAM BARTRAM and in THE TRAVELS OF WILLIAM BARTRAM.
they were Quaker Botanists who wrote, collected samples, drawings for Lord Featheringill in London who published their works there. also friends of B. Franklin.
Also many Germans left upper NY and traveled by river to Phila area in 1720's. definitely look toward the waterways.
Margie