VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2012

From:
Carolyn Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:51:31 -0500
Hi, Cynthia McDaniel,

You taxed my memory and records with this query, but thank goodness I
easily found one of the primary online sources. It can be found here:
http://www.horseshoe.cc/pennadutch/history/european/knittle.htm

and is excerpted from a paper titled /Early Palatine Emigration/, by
Walter Allen Knittle, Ph.D., Philadelphia, 1937. It goes into a great
deal more detail than my message of the other day, but I was focusing on
the "warm blankets" discussion. I hope it is of help in your research
about the Palatines.

As for the effects of the "Little Ice Age", on the people of Europe,
there is this interesting National Geographic article, published
thirteen months ago:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/10/111003-science-climate-change-little-ice-age/

It's hard to imagine our being able to survive such a calamity as things
are, today.

Let me know if I can be of further help... I descend from a couple of
Germanic ancestors, and my husband a few more, but am not by any means
to be considered well-studied in their reasons for setting off across
the ocean for a wild and unknown place.

Have a happy Thanksgiving weekend,

Carolyn

--