VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 12:03:22 -0600
begins with the realization that Rev. Slaughter who wrote The Book was
born at the old Clayton farm in Culpeper not all that long ago:

[26 8ber 1808]...hahahachokesnort

and "finished" the rough Draft not long before he died in 1890. [My
grandmother (no extra ggg's) who often called me "Maxine", was born nine
(9) !! years after his death and died on Thanksgiving Day in 1994 at the
age of 95].

For starters it was more likely old Mjr Philip Clayton (the one who
received a patent on the land in Orange, 25 Jun 1748, which ultimately
became part of Culpeper Co.,) was the one who dragged around that goofy
catalpa tree, not his grandson Mjr. Philip who inherited it.

Being that John Clayton, the Atty-Gen. & his son John the Botanist, while
generally legendary, never so much as set foot on Virginia soil until
1705 while in 1704 Susannah the "widdo" of Philip's grandfather is found
on the Virginia Rent Rolls in K&Q (this is uhmm after 1692 wasn't it?
when that county snatched it from New Kent, before it became glued to
Essex or heaven knows what)....the widdo's original property itself
remained along the Mattipony River and never moved anywhere..........so
anyway it isn't likely the Atty-Gen or the Botanist begat anyone remotely
essential to the Culpeper Claytons.

The fable that makes me craziest though, and is copied & recopied all
over the internet as well as in more prestigious published works,  is
that Elizabeth is old Mjr Philip Clayton's daughter even though Philip
himself writes emphatically in his will [21 Mar 1786 probate Bk C p245
Culpeper] that he had only three (3) children whom he proceeds to name:
Lucy who married Wm. WILLIAMS, Samuel CLAYTON, and Susannah who m. Col.
James SLAUGHTER abt 1756.

Elizabeth is old Mjr. Philip's *sister* referred to as Elizabeth ANDERSON
in the Will of their father Samuel Clayton [their mum was Elizabeth
PENDLETON] which came into probate 19 Aug 1735 in Tapp Court Essex.

Elizabeth's first husband the ANDERSON fella, Joseph I believe but don't
quote me, died after her dad did and then around 1740-2 she married
Nathaniel PENDLETON the elder [1715-1794],  who was her cousin. [their
kid, Nathaniel the younger was aide de camp to Gen Greene 1776, the elder
still had the oomph to sign the Stamp Act Protest.]

There's only a couple years difference in age between her & her brother
old Mjr Philip CLAYTON.  She or their mum died at Philip's however in
Culpeper, in 1761, attended by Dr. Michael WALLACE from the accounts as
Philip paid the family bills & his farm had become the hub of the family
(which also explains how come Rev. SLAUGHTER was born there as well as
his dad Capt. Philip Pendleton SLAUGHTER, in 1758) since some years after
he & his mum administered his papa's will and Philip set out from South
Farnham Parish Essex dragging that silly tree to patent the land in
Orange in 1748.

One of the other mysteries I'm still confounded by is Who in the World is
"another daughter" written so as to appear to be Philip's, just in case
it was maybe, who married a CRITTENDEN, and "was the mother (I believe)
of Senator Crittendon of Kentucky." unquote,  [Rev. Slaughter believes
this, not me]  This is from p127 of The History of St. Mark's Parish.
Any CRITTENDEN researcher's out there who can make sense of THAT?

And something else I really, really NEED to search all clues of in hopes
of verifying the death date of my Saml jr jr, is:

Who is Sally FAVER?

While there are FAVER, FAVOR, FAVOURs of Culpeper in the earlier days,
this tidbit is not from Slaughter's work.  It's an extract from Culpeper
County, Va. Court Order Book dated 16 Feb 1819 and must refer to Robert
Coleman Clayton perhaps serving in the War of 1812? (I don't have much on
him nor whom he married or fathered,  if anyone.)

This extract refers either to the - at the time living - heirs of "old
Mjr. Philip deceased" which they were or to his grandson's Mjr. Philip
d.1821, son of my Sam along with [my Sal jr jr who's not mentioned and
presumed by me deceased in Bourbon Co., KY] & Geo., Thomas & Nancy.
["Ann C. Strother" is my Sam1stjr's dau. Nancy actually, who married
Jeremiah STROTHER].

"Ordered that it be certified to the Secretary of War of the United
States that, Sally Faver, Philip Saml. Clayton, Geo. Clayton, Ann C.
Strother, Thomas Clayton the heirs of Philip Clayton dec. are the only
heirs. Representatives of Robert Clayton who died with service of the
United States."

But who is Sally Faver? orphaned dau. of RC CLayton?  Wife?  Any FAVER
researchers here who can enlighten me?

Cynthia, going offline to put little band-aids on her 2 typing fingers

..