VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2011

From:
Alice Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 10:31:15 -0800
Hello Cuzins, Listmates and lmonitors...

got a few questions - hope some of you have in your Virginia research encountered these and can help me..

1.  During the period (1896 - 1912) when Virginia did not (per staute)  collect/report births and deaths, I am aware that some localities did continue to do so.

First question - are these records for births 1896 - 1912 included  with a search for a birth record through the Virginia Department of Vital Records - or must one search either the microfilm and/or original registers in those localities?  I am interested in someone's first hand experience if possible.

Second question - If a substitute for a record at birth is done later, such as an affidavit, or delayed birth certificate, will they show up in the "normal search" or are they included in a separate indexing?

Alice in Fluvanna