VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

From:
Hugh Jefferson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hugh Jefferson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 15:40:39 -0600
I feel Dr. Mai's submission is worth repeating and I do hope all subscribers to the list will heed his advice and follow his suggestions.  Likewise, Thomas Jefferson oft retold "myths" should be included.  As the Doctor suggested: "Think ahead fifty years."

   " This G. Washington thread is fascinating, but more for its illumination
of gossiping behavior than for genealogical substance.  I suggest that any GW
(putative) issue should currently be acknowledged as "urban myth" unless hard
physical evidence is forthcoming.
    As a professional geneticist interested in the debunking power of DNA,
let's all just wait a few years until more evidence is at hand, if any.
Public speculation does nothing but feed the flame, and plop a speculative
sentence in an archive somewhere that will encourage someone 50 years hence
to interpret it as fact."

Larry L. Mai, PhD
Long Beach, CA

Respectfully submitted,