VA-ROOTS Archives

December 2002

Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:20:22 -0600
I found it  [ !!! ].  Unfortunately it was copied long ago without a
Title Page containing all the publication data and all I have is
pp121-131 stapled together entitled "Roger Dixon" with a note saying
.........from *Forgotten Companions*"....... scribbled across the first
page, (no author of this book or magazine, no anything but page numbers).

It contains a plot plan with all the streets & lots numbered, along with
the history of the Fredricksburg enterprise and a list of the original
buyers/investors, who, as I said, were gentlemen from other parts of
Virginia accustomed to their own well established communities &
conveniences.

This all seems to indicate except for the few mansions that must have
stood out like sore thumbs amidst a wasteland of unsold lots, the
agreement your ancestor contracted was perhaps a marketing incentive to
build & populate which would increase the land values & create a more
attractive environment for future lot buyers noting all the hustle and
bustle. In between Roger's death [22 May 1772 actually] & his brother
Rev. John's attempts to  fix all this, what there was of Fredericksburg
was pretty well decimated by the war. ( & one of Roger's kids took to
selling some of these lots that were in fact no longer owned by the Dixon
family which I suppose was much more lucrative than getting a paper route
but I believe was straightened out by the local authorities.

Regardless, I'm almost 400% positive your ancestor was encouraged to hire
the best architect/builders in this endeavor.  This would increase the
property values for all concerned. Unable to find buyers for their lots,
investors had taken to building residences & shops for lease, although
they themselves did not choose to reside there.  The agreement in
question improved the barren lot and at the same time gave the owners 7
years before facing the possibility of throwing more money into the
project.  Now following this logic...<iii iii> did that mean your
ancestor was reimbursed for the cost of his own residence + appreciation
to current market value after 7 years?  Cool.

If you haven't stumbled over this wondrous site, it includes some of
Fredericksburg's old businesses, churches, residences, often complete
with deed referenced histories of transfers of ownership, pix, etc., & a
plat map:
http://lvaimage.lib.va.us/cgi-bin/vhip_subjects.cgi?action=browse&letter=
The dwellings are indexed by quaint names rather than address or owners
so it all can make you a bit crazy poking around, but it's often worth
the trouble.  You can narrow the listings down by clicking on a section
of the map if you have a good idea of the exact location of the property.
Post me personally with your address if you need a snail mail copy of the
papers I found.