VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2004

Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:41:00 EST
In a message dated 2/5/04 10:44:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,  [log in to unmask]
writes:

So it's not  improbable that a cavalry regiment started out as Zouaves,
though it runs  counter in principle to what they were all about.

Bill:
That would also be my take. I would think that a cavalry unit would be
designated Hussars, such as the 3rd NJ Cavalry, instead of Chasseuer or Zouave.
The "Pittsburgh Zouaves" were probably designated as such when they were 2nd VA
(Union Infantry) & the name stuck with them even after the unit became
cavalry & the uniform became non-Zouave.
Nice to hear from you.
Sincerely,

Mike  Peters