VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2004

Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:20:26 EDT
Hi to the list

As to Virginia not having "native stone" and the need to import such...The
slatestone quarries of Buckingham County were the source of many unique and
still beautiful stones.  I do not know the earliest dates that these were used (or
mined) but cemeteries around Arvonia should be investigated to see what is
probably a most unique historical cemetery, for the historical value of  the
stones.  I have been there several times just to walk and appreciate the
craftmanship.