VA-ROL Archives

December 2007

VA-ROL@LISTLVA.LIB.VA.US

From:
Amy Judd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia Records Officer's Listserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:19:35 -0500
Questions about GS-6 were raised by a locality and I would like to get a few
folks to weigh in on the matter.

1) GS-06 #4: Working papers and documents
Plats/plans as they relate to Planning and Development only, not to Public
Works.
Once a locality has an approved site plan, the final version and accompanying
documents (any comments, the application, engineering folder, etc) are part
of the permanent file. Therefore, what purpose is served by retaining the
working papers/drafts for a subsequent 5 years after approval?

2) Violations to Zoning Ordinance
I do not see any series on any general schedule that truly addresses violations
to zoning ordinances. There are a few options that might work, but a
dedicated series would be useful to eliminate any doubts. Some zoning
ordinance complaints are being filed as Citizen Complaints (1 yr retention),
others as Inspections (3 yr retention), and others still as "legal" or potential
litigation (5 yr retention).
Does this set of records merit its own series on the retention schedule to
cover complaints called in by citizens, violations noticed by a Zoning
Inspector, and the results generated by the subsequent investigation?

I appreciate any input the list members may offer as a revision to GS-06 may
be in order.

Sincerely,
Amy Judd
Library of Virginia

To UNSUBSCRIBE, change options, or subscribe, please see the instructions
at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-rol.html
(If using Netscape, must have version 6.1 or higher to view the above page)