Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2008 18:30:26 -0400
Anne--

I answered this in my reply to Herb.  But I think it is sufficiently interesting to merit a direct response here as well.

We know that one of SH's children (Eston, if I recall correctly) was not fathered by one of the various men descended from TJ's grandfather.

We also know that one, and perhaps more, of SH's children *was* fathered by a Jefferson.

Taken together, those two facts suggest one of two things:

Either the two men had completely different parents (ie., one of them was not a child of SH); or, if both of them were born to SH, then SH had children by two different men.

As I hope is clear, I am attempting to cut through the various arguments about *interpretation* to lay out the evidence we have available to us, and about which we can reasonably agree, pertinent to the paternity of SH's children.

I have read the various reports and books, but I do not own them in my library--so I am doing this all from memory.  If I make errors, I am quite happy to be corrected.

I think, once we are done hashing out this project of mine, we will discover that the range of facts on which we can agree is rather thin on the ground--that the whole brouhaha surrounds the inferences we draw from the evidence available, rather than the evidence itself.  Since the evidence itself is just not all that robust, I truly do think the best we can do is to make qualified statements.

I do not think it is fair or correct to make the unqualified statement "Jefferson absolutely *was* the father of some of SH's children."  Such a statement, it seems to me, over reaches the evidence we have available to us.

All best,
Kevin