From:
Paul Heinegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:42:04 -0500
James Brothers wrote, "I suspect that part of the reason that Africans
worked better than American Indians as slaves was that they had already been
exposed to Old World diseases."
------------

I see Indians mentioned in the Virginia county court records all the time:
as slaves in inventories, wills, sometimes as indentured servants, and those
who held reservation lands. As I mentioned earlier, there were a number of
families which survived and proved descent from Indians captured in the
Carolinas. Also a number of colonial petitions from children saying in court
that they descend from an indentured Indian woman.

And there were many Indians whose mixed-race descendants still held small
reservation lands on the Eastern Shore into the early 1800s as also the
Pamunkeys.

I wonder if there is any way of knowing what sort of survival rate these
Indians had in Virginia within the English community.
Paul