James Brothers wrote, "I suspect that part of the reason that Africans
worked better than American Indians as slaves was that they had already been
exposed to Old World diseases."
------------

I see Indians mentioned in the Virginia county court records all the time:
as slaves in inventories, wills, sometimes as indentured servants, and those
who held reservation lands. As I mentioned earlier, there were a number of
families which survived and proved descent from Indians captured in the
Carolinas. Also a number of colonial petitions from children saying in court
that they descend from an indentured Indian woman.

And there were many Indians whose mixed-race descendants still held small
reservation lands on the Eastern Shore into the early 1800s as also the
Pamunkeys.

I wonder if there is any way of knowing what sort of survival rate these
Indians had in Virginia within the English community.
Paul