From:
Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:35:33 -0400
Perhaps it would be useful to look at slavery in Virginia from a different
perspective.    Chattel slavery of Africans was no doubt the most serious
issue, at least in the late 18th and 19th centuries, but there were other sorts
of slavery involving native populations.  I'd break these into three classes:
1) indigenous slavery, i.e., the enslavement by one nation of defeated warriors
and people from another rival nation; 2) conquest slavery, i.e., the
enslavement of Indian nations or individuals by Europeans after defeating them
in battle; 3) judicial enslavement, i.e., the determination by an
Anglo-Virginian court or council that a particular individual or nation should
be enslaved.  I expect that the second and third cases overlap.

I am trying to remember the name of the Virginia nation which was defeated,
captured, and sent as slaves to the West Indies.  I'll go back and check my
notes and if I turn anything up, I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, take a look at John E. Kicza, “First Contacts,” in Philip J.
Deloria & Neal Salisbury, eds.  A Companion to American Indian History.
Oxford: Blackwell,  2002 (pp. 27-45).  Kicza describes the early
Anglo-Virginian practice of selling Indian prisoners into slavery:  "In 1644,
the aged Opechancanough led his people in one more assault against the
colonists, killing some 400 and taking many prisoners.  Yet again, the
Powhatans did not follow up on their successful initial attack, enabling the
English to regroup.  The colonists now took the offensive, killing some
natives, forcing many others to flee, and selling prisoners as slaves.  By
1646, the Powhatan empire was no more, and Opechancanough was killed while an
English prisoner.  His successor agreed to a treaty stating that he held his
lands as a subject of the king of England, to whom he even paid a modest annual
tribute.  No Indians were allowed into English-controlled territory without
permission” (p. 37).
     "By the middle of the seventeenth century, some Carolina peoples –
especially the Westoes – were armed and financed by Virginia traders to raid
native settlements deep into the hinterland to capture slaves.  Expeditions
even penetrated deep into Spanish Florida, most notably destroying the
Apalacehees in 1702-4.  These were exchanged for important items and sold into
slavery on Virginia tobacco plantations" (pp. 37-38).

See also Joel. W. Martin, “Southeastern Indians and the English Trade in Skins
and Slaves.” In Charles Hudson and Carmen Chaves Tesser, eds., The Forgotten
Centuries: Indians and Europeans in the American South, 1521-1704.  Athens:
University of Georgia Press, 1994.  Pp. 304-324

Cheers -- Kevin