From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:20:15 -0400
Anita

It is too bad that you see it as an "attack on you". It was meant
more as a cautionary comment. You frequently don't see where people
are going, or coming from, with their posts because you don't read
them you react to them.

Mr. Browning was responding to your "flaming" him, because you did
not read what he posted. And contrary to what you claim you did
"attack" Mr. Browning. And it is not the first time you have jumped
on another poster. You have a tendency to go off half cocked, over
react, and relate almost everything to slavery. There is and was more
to Virginia history. My point was that while you are legitimately
proud of your African heritage, you wear it on your sleeve. That is a
potential problem because you let it influence your posts and it
detracts from what you are posting.

While we are all interested in our ancestors. One's race should not
be an issue in an historical discussion. It shouldn't matter that Mr.
Browning knows that you are African-American (everyone does as you
make such an issue of it) and you don't know his race. Just because
you are of African ancestry, does not make statements you make about
slavery or life in the South any more valid than Mr. Browning's or
anyone else on the list. It does, as you had slave ancestors, give
you a personal connection. But that is all. Are only descendants of
people who owned slaves allowed to comment on their history? Can only
people of Indian ancestry, like me, legitimately comment on Indians?
Much of what we know about the life the American Indian or Africans
is due to the work of lily white Europeans or Americans. Does their
"race" invalidate their work? Your posts often leave the impression
that you think so.

Mr. Browning may be White. So what? He knows at least as much about
Virginia history as you, perhaps more. As he has spent his life
studying it. He certainly knows more about some aspects, as you do
about others. We cannot know everything because we are compelled to
specialize. Lists exist so we can exchange information.

If you go back far enough the present theory is that we are all
African. Race is an artificial and somewhat arbitrary way to separate
people. This is particularly true if you take it to the extreme of
skin colour. While most (about 75%) of the people from India are as
Caucasian as a Norwegian, many also have skin as dark as Africans. We
should judge people by the contents of their minds, their
utterances,  and especially their deeds, not by the colour of their
skin.

James Brothers, RPA