From:
Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:51:07 -0500
The International Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies (ISECS) is meeting this coming July in Montpellier, France.  At this conference I will be conducting a workshop on editing manuscripts from the long 18th century (roughly 1660-1815).  The official description of the workshop follows:

Title : Editing (and re-editing) important
     historical manuscripts Summary : A roundtable discussing the
     practical, technological, and theoretical challenges of preparing
     unpublished historical manuscripts or developing new approaches to
     manuscripts published in an earlier era. Comment : Many scholars are currently working
     on projects to establish, annotate, and interpret historical texts. New
     technologies may help: searchable text-bases uncover sources, analogues
     and plagiarisms. Digital publication and distance collaboration offer
     other possibilities. Theoretical issues include the revision of earlier
     editorial biases, identifying the fictionalizing of so-called first-hand
     accounts, and many other possible topics. The
deadline for registration for the International Congress of the
Enlightenment has been postponed to 18 March 2007. After this date it
will only be possible to register as a participant in a workshop or
round table, although for practical reasons it will not be possible to
include the names of these participants in the programme.

The registration fee is fixed at &euro; 200 until 18 March, after which it will increase to &euro; 220.

We remind you that registration is only possible via the congress website:
http://www.congreslumieres2007.org

I'd be very interested in welcoming Early Americanist colleagues to participate in this workshop.  I understand the south of France is fairly pleasant in July...

Cheers -- Kevin Berland