From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:49:34 -0400
My thanks to Constantine Gutzman for clarifying Henry's remark -- I am
indebted.  It was laziness on my part to call up the example -- it does
SOUND like a polar opposite from the Randolph quotation -- but of course
it is no reflection of Henry's allegiances, but of the constitutional
dilemma of the early 1770s.  Anyhow, I stand by my main point that
antebellum Americans did not see holding a patriotic allegiance to their
native states as contradictory to their loyalty as Americans -- indeed,
for many state identity was the lens through which they saw themselves as
Americans.

David Kiracofe
College of Charleston

David Kiracofe