From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:20:03 -0400
I must say, I am enjoying this conversation greatly.  Kevin Hardwick is
right -- with secession as the test we see the range of political
commitments between state and union.  But even then I would say that
those who voted against secession (whether they were soon-to-be West
Virginians or not) still regarded themselves as Virginians and would have
identified themselves that way -- John Minor Botts comes to mind: part of
the ruling elite in Virginia, but a unionist.  That the secessionists
would ostracize him as a traitor to the state, would not change that.

David Kiracofe
College of Charleston