From:
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 18:36:57 -0400

From: Kay Peninger <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, Oct 29, 2010 3:52 pm
Subject: Re: [VA-HIST] 1870 Southern Census Takers

2319 East Broad Street

Richmond, VA  23223

804.649.0263 office

804.564.1002 cell

804.643.4412 fax

www.historicstjohnschurch.org

-----Original Message-----

From: Discussion of research and writing about Virginia history

[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Hannah Powell

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 3:43 PM

To: [log in to unmask]

In the 1870 Census of Jones County Georgia is the first example I can show

you of a former slave being a county assistant Marshall.

DEVEAUX, JAMES B. is the assistant Marshall of Jones Co., GA.  He is a male

mulatto age 25 born in Georgia and is a school teacher.

The population breakdown of Jones County shows as follows:

GAJones: Black Males: 3,043 Black Females: 3,279

GAJones: White Males: 1,838 White Females: 1,829

1870/06/09/css/218A GAJones, Clinton PO. In Household #1 is CLARKE SLATTER

age 52 male black, blacksmith $400 real estate, $200 personal property, b.

GA; Frances age 48 female mulatto, tailoress, b. Dist. of Columbia;

HARDEMAN, Julia 33 fm cook GA; GREEN, Dumas 14 mb GA; ... and living with

Clarke Slatter is family #2 JAMES B. DEVERAU age 25 male mulatto, school

teacher, b. Georgia, Louise M. 18 fm school teacher, b. SC; Laura 18 fm

school teacher, b. GA; Isaac age 9/12 male mulatto b. August in GA.

Neither of these heads of household are listed in the 1860 Federal Census.

They are living in a large community of former slaves.

Hannah Powell