From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:53:09 EST
Hello Everyone,

I have not seen the movie, but my eldest daughter is about to and we had a
discussion regarding whether there was actually any romance between John Smith
and Pocohantas, or just friendship.   I also told her of the rather torturous
letter John Rolfe wrote to whom I can't remember, regarding whether he should
marry Pocohantas ca 1614 (will try to find online).  My romantic heart read
between the lines that Rolfe simply desperately wanted her as his wife.

If memory serves, when the animated version of Pocohantas came up a few years
ago, there was some some discussion from historians that there was never a
romance between John Smith & Pocohantas.

I'm curious what the historians on the list think about these issues,
particularly whether John Smith & Pocohantas' relationship went beyond friendship, as
we have so often been led to believe.  FYI, I do not know what the new movie
"says" about this, but am just interested in your opinions/research, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter