From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2015 17:20:13 -0500
THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE OF RICHMOND

invites you to

STAND TO HORSE!!

Join us for our next meeting on January 14, as Dennis Farmer presents “The Dragoon at War.”  Dennis is a long time member and a re-enactor with extensive knowledge of revolutionary horsemen.  Learn what a dragoon is and how he lived and fought. Dinner at 5:30 will be followed by the meeting at 6:30 in the Heilman Dining Center of the University of Richmond.  Details and maps are at http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html.  Please note that this meeting is on the second Wednesday of January rather than the third, due to scheduling conflicts.

January marks the beginning of our ninth year as an ARRT.  We were number eight when formed.  There are now sixteen such groups.  The movement and interest in the Revolutionary War continues to grow.  Wonderful!  Last year, we enrolled 75 dues paying members, our highest number ever.  Thank you for that.  And thank you for re-enlisting for 2015, when all memberships come due.  To make the process easier, we are requesting that all members download and bring the completed form to the meeting.  The form is here http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/directors.html, along with dues information.  We are also anxious to update and confirm all our members addresses, both email and postal.  Those who are unable to attend the meeting can simply send the form and $20 check, made to ARRT-Richmond, to Woody Childs, our membership steward.

Alison Cody of the Boston Public Library was kind enough to share this information -

In May 2015 the Leventhal Map Center at the Boston Public Library is opening an extraordinary American Revolutionary War era exhibition commemorating  the 250th anniversary of American colonial resistance to Britain’s 1765 Stamp Act.  The exhibition will travel to Colonial Williamsburg in 2016 and the New-York Historical Society in 2017.  The exhibition prospectus can be viewed here:  http://maps.bpl.org/content/revolution.   We are partnering with many other organizations in creating this show, including the British Library, the Library of Congress and the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Thank you, Alison.  ARRT members will be able to view the exhibition in Williamsburg in 2016.  We’ll keep you posted.

The 4th Annual Conference on the American Revolution is fast approaching, sponsored by America’s History, our advertiser.  Details of the March 20 – 22 symposium in Williamsburg are at http://americashistoryllc.com/2014/10/4th-annual-conference-of-the-american-revolution/  This conference has gotten better every year.  I highly recommend it to you.

Here are details about the 234th Anniversary Commemoration of the Crossing of the Dan on February 14, in South Boston.  http://www.prizery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=192&Itemid=199  If you have never attended, it’s well worth the trip.

The second recent TV series on the revolution “Sons of Liberty” will air January 25 at 9 PM, on the History Channel.  I’m hopeful, but remain skeptical.

I hope to see you on January 14, and please bring a friend.  Any questions, please ask.

Bill Welsch