From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2016 14:34:52 -0400
                                                                        AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Hi Folks,

At our next meeting on Wednesday, September 21, we’ll look at the other side of the coin when Stephanie Seal Walters presents “Tories in the Shadows: Loyalism, Society, and Warfare in Virginia During the American Revolution.”  Dinner begins at 5:30 in the Heilman Dining Center, with the meeting following at 6:30.  Details and maps are here.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html  Our friends from the Osher Program will again be joining us, so be sure to arrive early for a choice seat.

We’ve arranged two tours of the new American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, our 2016 Preservation Partner.  The first will be Saturday, October 22, at 10:30.  The second will occur in conjunction with the WYARRT November conference.  Details will be available at our September meeting.

And here’s information about WYAART’s November conference. http://williamsburg-yorktownarrt.weebly.com/uploads/2/5/1/8/25186141/so_campgn_weblayout.pdf

From Historic Polegreen Church, about John Maass - HISTORIC POLEGREEN CHURCH

THE ROAD TO YORKTOWN"

Wednesday, September 28 -- 7 p.m. until 8:30 p.m.
     When Polegreen Church was formed in the mid-18th Century, revolution was in the air. And the next speaker in our popular lecture series, Dr. John Maass, will join us September 28 to explore the drama that unfolded.
     To be held at the University of Richmond's Jepson Hall, Dr. Maass' presentation will explore the British invasion of Central Virginia in the campaign leading up to the Siege of Yorktown in October 1781.
     A military historian with broad experience, Dr. Maass will have copies of his latest book -- The Road to Yorktown: Jefferson, Lafayette and the British Invasion of Virginia -- available for signings.
     Admission is free, and the event will be held in Lecture Hall 120 - just inside the main entrance to UR's Jepson Hall School of Leadership Studies (not the Alumni Center).

Bruce Venter provided this interesting piece -

Site of Revolutionary War Battlefield Located
AP News Now.

BEAUFORT, S.C. (AP) _ Historians say they've found the site of the Revolutionary War Battle of Grays Hill on the South Carolina coast.
There's a roadside marker on U.S. 21 north of Beaufort generally describing the battle, but The Beaufort Gazette reports (http://bit.ly/2bBAdrX ) the exact site of the 1779 encounter was only recently discovered.
During the battle, continental regulars, South Carolina militia and volunteers turned back a British attempt to capture nearby Port Royal.
Historians Daniel Battle and John Allison found the site using metal detectors. The location won't be revealed until the property can be purchased. The battlefield spans 12 acres and is owned by three property owners.
The historians will present their findings and artifacts during a talk in Beaufort in October.
___
Information from: The Beaufort Gazette, http://www.beaufortgazette.com

On October 5, Alan Taylor will speak at the University of Richmond on “American Revolutions: A Continental History,” the subject of his new book.  This is a Society of Cincinnati Lecture.  Check here.  http://history.richmond.edu/major-minor/lectures.html

The Battle of Brandywine in 4 Minutes, with Tom McGuire, from Campaign 1776.

http://www.campaign1776.org/videos/in4/brandywine.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email_update&utm_campaign=91316

See you on Wednesday.

Bill