From:
Kevin Joel Berland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 09:43:09 -0500
The word &quot;friend&quot; was often used to indicate family.  The OED gives this definition: &quot;A kinsman or near relation. Now only in pl. (one's) relatives, kinsfolk, &lsquo;people&rsquo;.&quot;  I've often seen this usage in 17th and 18th-century writing.  In this light, Professor Finkelman's definition should become still clearer.

Cheers -- Kevin