From:
Peter Henriques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 18:57:54 EDT
I would be interested in seeing clear, checkable evidence that people like
Mr. Barger were suggesting that Randolph was the likely father of Sally
Hemings'  children BEFORE the publication of the DNA results. From my  perspective,
this appears to be a case of people who "know" Thomas Jefferson  could not have
been the father frantically  looking for another possibility  once it became
irrefutable that a male member of the Jefferson family was the  father of
Eston. It is also interesting to wonder why all of  Sally's children were conce
ived nine months after Jefferson was at  Monticello, despite the fact that he was
often gone for significant periods of  time. Purely a coincidence?

Peter Henriques

Professor of History, Emeritus
George Mason University

favorites at AOL Food.